No one wants to think about tooth extractions--it is intimidating to all of us! But as far as surgery is concerned, this is truly one of the easiest and least painful ones. Most simple tooth extractions are done under a local anesthetic, don't require stitches, and you are done within the hour. Don't suffer from a tooth ache, give West Allis Dental Care a call today at 414-258-2500 and become pain free.
Why remove teeth?
There are many reasons why a tooth may need to be removed including:
- Damaged beyond reasonable repair
- Malformation of the tooth
- Tooth crowding
- To make room for braces
- Prosthetic - a tooth next to a bridge may simply not fit well with the bridge due to rotation or other issues
- Severe gum disease
What is involved in tooth extraction?
The doctor numbs the area and loosens the gums around the tooth. They will then loosen the tooth and remove it. Occasionally the extraction site will need stitches. It takes the gums about two weeks to heal and the bone about six weeks to heal. The doctor and assistant will give instructions on how to take care of the area during that time.
Simple extractions are done by our dentists but some teeth will require an oral surgeon, such as impacted wisdom teeth. West Allis Dental refers to a number of great oral surgeons in the area.
Best things to do:
- Take any recommended pain and anti-inflammatory medication
- Ice the area
- Limit activity and exertion
- Elevate your head when lying down
- Eat soft foods for a few days
- Continue to gently brush your other teeth
- Don't smoke